Harry Maguire anticipates being left off of Thomas Tuchel’s final roster

Harry Maguire anticipates being left off of Thomas Tuchel’s final roster.

Harry Maguire anticipates being left off of Thomas Tuchel’s final roster.

Harry Maguire has signalled he will be left out of England’s final 26-man World Cup squad, posting an emotional message after anticipating the decision. The Manchester United centre-back — a two-time World Cup starter with 66 caps — said he was “shocked and gutted” after fighting back into form this season but missing out on the squad announced this week.

Maguire omitted from England's World Cup squad

Harry Maguire confirmed expectations of his exclusion from England’s 26-man World Cup roster, sharing an emotional reaction on social media after the squad reveal. The 33-year-old defender wrote he was “shocked and gutted,” stressing how much representing the Three Lions has meant to him and wishing his teammates well for the tournament.

What Maguire said and why it matters

Maguire: “I was confident I could of played a major part this summer for my country after the season I’ve had... I’ve been left shocked and gutted by the decision.” The message underlines both his personal disappointment and a wider selection dilemma for England: balancing experience with current form and tactical fit.

This matters because Maguire is not just a squad player. He started every match for England at the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, has captained the side on occasion, and brings aerial presence and game-management qualities that managers prize in major tournaments.

Recent form at Manchester United

Maguire’s case for selection was strengthened by a strong spring with Manchester United. After returning from a January hamstring injury, he re-established himself under interim manager Michael Carrick, making 24 appearances across all competitions and playing a key role in United’s push for Champions League qualification.

He also signed a contract extension through June 2027, a signal that the club still values him and that he believes he has more to offer at the highest level.

International comeback earlier this year

Maguire reappeared for England in March, playing 90 minutes in the 1–1 friendly with Uruguay and making a substitute appearance in a 1–0 loss to Japan. Those were his first international minutes since September 2024 and showed he was on the manager’s radar going into the final selection.

Why he may have been left out

Selection at this level is rarely about one metric. England’s decision-makers appear to have prioritized centre-backs who fit a particular tactical profile — pace, ball progression, or positional versatility — which may have edged out Maguire despite his experience and recent resurgence.

Names reported around the squad mix include established internationals and younger options. Choosing form, system fit and balance across a short tournament squad sometimes means proven personalities miss out, even when their leadership and big-game resumes are compelling.

Implications for England's defence

Losing Maguire’s experience removes an aerial and organizational presence from the dressing room and matchday bench. England will rely on other senior defenders to deliver that stability, and on squad dynamics to replace his leadership, particularly in high-pressure knockout scenarios.

Tactically, the squad selection suggests England’s staff are betting on mobility and ball-playing ability as tournament priorities, trusting that other defenders can cover the roles Maguire traditionally filled.

World Cup group and schedule

England opens its World Cup campaign on June 17 against Croatia in Arlington, Texas, then faces Ghana on June 23 in Foxborough, Massachusetts, before closing the group against Panama on June 27 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Group-stage form and injury management will dictate defensive personnel shifts as the tournament progresses.

What comes next for Maguire

At club level, Maguire’s new contract and recent run of games mean he remains a central figure for Manchester United. Internationally, this omission may mark the end of his World Cup involvement, but it does not erase a record of deep tournament experience or his ability to influence big matches.

For Maguire personally, the immediate focus will be fitness, form and leadership at United, where consistent club performances could re-open international doors in the future — though World Cup windows are finite and selection landscapes evolve quickly.

Final assessment

This decision is a reminder that international selection blends objective metrics with subjective judgement.

Mauricio Pochettino will announce the World Cup roster on May 26

Maguire’s exclusion is emotionally resonant and strategically meaningful: England has prioritized certain defensive traits for this World Cup, and Maguire — despite a strong comeback season and storied past with the Three Lions — was the casualty of that calculus.

Si Si

undefined

https://about.worldofsports.io

https://worldofsports.io/category/betting-tips/

https://github.com/Betarena/official-documents/blob/main/privacy-policy.md

[object Object]

https://github.com/Betarena/official-documents/blob/main/terms-of-service.md

https://stats.uptimerobot.com/PpY1Wu07pJ

https://betarena.featureos.app/changelog

https://x.com/WOS_SportsMedia

https://github.com/Betarena

https://www.linkedin.com/company/betarena

https://t.me/betarenaen

https://www.gambleaware.org/